Completing this tracklist is taking a lot longer than we expected! Can’t say for certain when/if we’ll finish. So stay tuned!
THIS IS BELGIUM: Part Two - Cherry Moon On Valium
Even though these Belgian records sound very “now”, they are actually 20 years old and were meant to be played at a much, much faster speed. At the time this was the devil’s music for us, but we have learned to listen through the claps and distorted kicks and discovered that if you slow these really dark and heavy techno records down all the way to about 115 bpm, it suddenly makes them sound less frantic, ballsier and a lot sexier. Belgium at its best when pitched down.
The covers of these records are quite generic and don’t really lend themselves to animating , so we figured we would bring you the visual aspect of this musical genre that you can’t not be fascinated by: the dance. We were very lucky to have found some people who can still do the typical moves, and with them dancing in front of the record sleeves (and sometimes inside of them) we bring you our ultimate tribute to a glorious period in our Belgian musical heritage.
We feel very strongly about this hour, and would like to show that quite often, the best things in life are already right in front of us, we just have to open our eyes (and ears) to them. We stand corrected!
1. Yves Deruyter - Animals (Remix)
2. Pleasure Game - Les Seigneur Des Tenebres (Destructor Mix)
3. J’N’J - The Ballet
4. Dr. Phibes & Teddy Jones - Waresnare (Stelt Mix)
5. Ace The Space - Nine Is a Classic (Classic Strength Mix)
6. X-Change - Ready To Rock
7. Mackenzie - Cyclotron (Atomic Kick Mix)
8. X-Change - Let’s Go
9. Space Trax - Vivisection
10. The Postman - ??
11. Sonik Expander - Omega
12. Rave Crusader - Energy Overload (Acid Changes Mix)
13. Ace The Space - Nine Is a Classic (Original or Ultimate Rave Mix)
14. Krid Snero - Freedom
15. Krid Snero - F*** of Death
16. Next - Out There
17. Public Ambient - Revival Shadows
18. Bam Bam - La Casa
19. Dream Your Dream - Soushkin
20. Next - Transformed Temple (Remix)
21. Casa Nostra - Insomnia
22. Final Exposure - Vortex
23. N.U.K.E. - Dance With a Wolf (Pure Space Mix)
24. TMF - F*** Off
25. Insider - Dreams
26. Hardfloor - Once Again Bacl (Rumble Mix)
27. Dreamland - Mind Penetration
28. Friends Of Django - F***in’ Revenge!
29. Ramirez - Orgasmico (DJ Ricci Mix)
30. S.V.E.N. - For God’s Sake
31. Ramirez - La Musika Tremenda
32. Krid Snero - ??
33. Modular Expansion - Cubes
34. S.V.E.N. - Silencium
35. Groove Reactor - Magick
36. Krid Snero - White Line (D&S Remix)
37. BST - Êtes-Vous Coupable?
38. Synthadelic - I’m a Secretary
39. Tragic Castle - Say Hello to The Bad Guy
40. Yves Deruyter - Guess Who?
41. S.V.E.N. - Free Cocaine
42. Trigger - Stratosphere
43. Aqua Contact - La Sirena
44. Krid Snero - ??
45. The Future - Locked In Madness
46. Plexus - Cactus Rhythm (Mike Ferlin Mix)
47. Second Phrase - Mentasm (Remix)
48. Ace The Space - Nine Is a Classic (Bay Area Drive-By Mix)
49. Lords of Acid - Let’s Get High
50. Bounty Hunter - Bounty Hunter
51. TMF - Undergrunge
52. Final Analyzis - El Punto Final (Power Mix)
THIS IS BELGIUM: Part One - New Beat
There was a brief period between 1987 and 1989 where Belgium, of all places, was pushing the envelope in electronic music. It preceded England’s ‘second summer of love’ and was probably our equivalent of it, in that a whole generation’s lives quite rapidly became based around taking ecstasy, dressing up, going clubbing and dancing to an odd, slowed down hypnotic mix of New Wave, Acid, EBM and everything else that sounded good. New Beat became a real craze that would attract thousands of ravers from all over Europe to Belgium’s newly thriving club scene every weekend and inspired hundreds of releases that stormed the Belgian charts, regardless of it being completely ignored by the media and radio because it was not seen as “real” music. It was counterculture of the cheapest kind and due to its massive success, it quickly became very cheesy and novelty based, but there was an amazing side to New Beat that was dark and messed up and our mix is based on those releases, with a few hits thrown in for good measure.
I’ve got to say it, this is one of the best hours on Radio Soulwax. Informative and interesting. Everyone should watch this!
- Fatal Error - Fatal Error with a sample of Confetti’s - Sound of C
- Tribe 22 - Aciiiiiiied - New Beat
- Spock Jr. - Ion (Boccaccio Edit)
- Le Mystere - Opus 303
- Ballearic Beach - Ballearic Beach
- Zsa Zsa Laboum - Something Scary
- Dr. Phibes - Acid Story
- 'N UMOH - Acid Reign
- The Pro 24’s - Technotronic
- Kaos 007 - ..ck On Acid
- Colonel Trip - Flash 4
- Olivier Muys - Ich Liebe Dich
- Little Little - Tickle Me (Acid Tickle Mix)
- Petra & Co - Laat Je Gaan (instrumental)
- Moments Of Ecstasy - You And Me
- Grey House - New Beats The House (fragment)
- Spagetti’s - B’Gay?
- Amnesia - Celcius (37, 38, 39)
- FVDP - The Roof is on Fire
- Hi-Hat - Rock To The Beat
- 101 - Rock To The Beat
- Acid Commando - Acid Generation
- Matrixx - Name Of The Beat (sample)
- The Executive Board - I Do Anything
- Frankfurter - Qui Es Tu, Toi?
- Plaza - Yo-Yo (Dutch Version)
- Tragic Error - Klap In Je Handen
- Major Problem - Acid Queen
- The Mackenzie - Party People
- G-Force - Spicy